A 3-2 game with both deGrom and Kershaw pitching into the 5th inning isn’t so insanely hard to believe. What’s so insanely hard to believe is that both pitchers gave up a combined 16 hits by the end of the fifth. Both pitchers labored and it started early, deGrom exited after the 5th with 105 pitches.
- Top of the 1st: After a Rosario double and a Conforto walk, Pete Alonso singled out to left field, driving in shortstop Amed Rosario to give the Mets the 1-0 edge.
- Bottom of the 1st: The Dodgers lead off their half of the inning with 3 straight singles to load the bases. He then got Cody Bellinger to foul out to Tomas Nido behind the plate, giving the Mets a huge out. Corey Seager then drove in a run to tie the game on a force out at 2nd.
- Bottom of the 3rd: Clay Bellinger absolutely crushed a deGrom curve, giving the Dodgers a 2-1 lead. The home run would count as Bellinger’s 19th of the season.
- Top of the 5th: J.D. Davis hit a 2-run home run after going 0 for his last 8 at-bats. The home run is Davis’ 6th of the 2019 campaign and put the Mets back up by a run.
- Bottom of the 6th: The Dodgers tied the game when Chris Taylor hit his first home run since May 5th. The home run came off of Tyler Bashlor, killing the chance of deGrom getting the victory. After replacing Bashlor with Daniel Zamora, the lefty Zamora would give up a 3-run home run to pinch-hitter Kike Hernandez. Zamora than eventually loaded the bases and hit Corey Seager to force in a run, right before Verdugo hit a sacrifice fly allowing the Dodgers 6th run of the inning.
- Top of the 8th: Adieny Hechavarria came up big again and hit a 2-run home run, getting the Mets back in swinging distance at 8-5. J.D. Davis then hit a fly out to right field, and while Tomas Nido tried to score at the plate, Bellinger threw out Carlos Gomez at third before Nido ever crossed the plate. In other words, a tragic inning ended double play.
- Bottom of the 8th: Blah! Chris Taylor singled in Seager, 9-5 Dodgers.
MetsJunkies Game Notes
Mets 5 Dodgers 9
WP – Clayton Kershaw (5-0) LP – Tyler Bashlor (0-2) Save – Kenley Jansen (16)
- Rosario picked up 2 doubles in a multi-hit game, going 3-5, crossing the plate twice.
- J.D. Davis picked up two RBI’s, his 15th and 16th, off of his 6th home run of the year.
- The Mets picked up Adieny Hechavarria as a back-up to Rosario, a defensively gifted glove in the infield. Tonight, as he’s been filling in for Canó, he picked up a multi-hit game with a clutch 2-run home run in the 8th, his 3rd. Hechavarria finished the night going 3-5.
- Michael Conforto reached base three times as he walked twice and picked up and picked up his 10th double of the season. Conforto is now batting .267.
- Jacob deGrom had a rough outing but it was far from a bad game, our reigning N.L. Cy Young award winner pitched 5 innings, giving up 2 runs on 7 hits. It took deGrom 105 pitches to get through the five and now has an ERA of 3.71.