- Zack Wheeler was tremendous, he pitched 7 innings, striking out 11 while giving up just 5 hits. He hit an 2-run double in the second putting the Mets up 3-0 but his big blow came in the fourth when he hit his first home run of the season. He had 3 RBI’s out of the Mets 9 runs.
- Jeff McNeil made an excellent play in the top half of the fourth as he gunned down Franco at the plate, after a Cesar Hernandez single to put an end to the inning.
- Robinson Canó had a great return to the lineup after taking a fastball off of his right wrist, he used the left side of the field as he went 2-4 with a run scored.
- Conforto continues to quietly build an MVP season as he also went 2-4, a walk, and a run scored on the evening.
- Wilson Ramos went 1-3 and drove in another RBI against his former club, Ramos now has 16 RBI’s this season.
- Juan Lagares had a decent night as he came in as a defensive replacement after Nimmo exited the game due to a “left oblique twinge”. Lagares drew a base on balls as well as a run scored.
- Tension seems to be brewing between the two clubs. Juan Lagares interestingly enough tried to steal a base with the Mets up by 8, Canó would end up moving him to third with a single. Jacob Rhame then got Rhys Hoskins riled up when he threw two 95MPH+ fastball by his head.
Vince Velasquez (0-0, 2.55 ERA) will face off against Mets southpaw Jason Vargas (1-0, 9.58 ERA) at Citi Field, 7:10 PM. It’ll be interesting to see tension from both clubs brew over into tomorrow.